Thread: AUS Commuters?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2024, 05:47 AM
ancman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2022

Originally Posted by myrkridia View Post
A bit disappointed to see the advice on here about going to a different category when OP already stated they currently live in Atlanta and are contemplating a move to one of our busiest non-hub domestic airports. I'm sure you heard this plenty of times but you and your wife should consider the lost opportunity of income over the course of your career should you indeed become a commuter. As a TX commuter it's not a bad commute, but if you already live in base that would be hard to justify for me.
He mentioned that he very recently started with Delta (3 months ago) and moved to Atlanta only to live in base. Without any real roots in Atlanta or with Delta, it’s very easy to make a move to another company or location if doing so is best for QOL.

I’d be wary of getting anyone’s hopes up about the significance of AUS being a busy mainline outstation right now as well. Current management won’t even open a base in BOS, despite it being a stated hub. Getting at-home layovers is nice, but the constant shuffle of flying between fleets makes that difficult to achieve consistently (i.e. the sudden appearance of the 737 in AUS after years of it being only a 220/320 city).