Thread: Path to LAX/ONT
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2024, 12:21 PM
SealingStemBolt
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2022

Also just to reiterate what's been said endlessly over in the hiring thread, the commute here isn't bad.

If you're an LA person, commuting to even ANC may sound daunting but it's very civilized. Just make sure to check your flights 4-5 days before your trip begins to make sure you get something decent and the company will book it with a hotel. And keep an eye out for trips that start with a deadhead as you can "meet the jet" instead of trekking up to Alaska before your pattern begins.

Don't fear reserve, it's not like it is at the airlines. For the 74/77 guys it usually just means you'll have your schedule built right before you start. The 76/73 guys it usually means a lot of golfing and goofing off at your reserve hotel. Some of my very best flying has been on a reserve line. I even prefer it when I do my bidding when I feel like an adventure.

And yes, even 2 years will go by in a flash. However, in any airline (and especially at Atlas) things change on the fly pretty quick. Bases grow and shrink, flying shifts around the globe and sure bet fleet plans go up in smoke. Bid what you want and want what you bid. You may see LAX/ONT before you even leave training or you may have to wait a bit. Thankfully the "bad" here isn't too bad at all, but chances are you'll be in the promised land of living in base very soon.

Welcome aboard the pirate ship!