View Single Post
Old 01-30-2024, 04:15 PM
dracir1
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: Lineholder

Originally Posted by LifetimeCFI View Post
there are probably 20+ reasons that ditching YX for F9 is the move, and probably only one or two reasons why someone would stay at a regional over F9.. Perhaps if you HAVE to live in Indianapolis, then YX might be your forever home. Otherwise, you want to get out of there as soon as you can and take advantage of the pay, QoL, and stability benefits that majors such as a ULCC have to offer.

If your end goal is a legacy, you won't get there any faster than you will at a NK, F9, or similar. Pretty much any regional with any tie to any legacy is getting metered.
AGREED!!!

Everyone has their opinions of course but to me there's only THREE reasons to stay at any regional ever (and all three apply concurrently). That is because you happen to like it there, are senior enough to where the money doesn't make a difference and you're not commuting. I assume this would apply to less than 2% of the pilot population that are independently wealthy outside of work, are only flying for the love of it (and the flight benefits) and live in a city where ONLY that regional has a base.

ALL OTHER REASONS point to leaving (even to commute). THIS INDUSTRY CAN AND HAS CHANGED OVERNIGHT and the best way to end up staying at a regional is not ever trying to leave it and something happens (9/11, COVID, etc). No one ever seems to expect the black swan event but one always happens (about every 9-10 years) and many regret not taking opportunities prior to its occurrence. This is probably the ONLY industry where seniority means so much so every day that goes by not on a major's list is another day someone else is ahead of you.

F9 absolutely sucks in terms of employee appreciation - there probably isn't a worse one in existence in N America. But it is head and shoulders above EVERY regional in terms of overall compensation (pay, vacation, 401k, etc.).

I KNOW I'm not the only one who knows this. Quite frankly, this thread is fairly stupid...