View Single Post
Old 01-31-2024, 10:53 AM
BlueScholar
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2022
Position: 73FO

Originally Posted by NBR92 View Post
Hey all, I am currently "flying" for the Air Force with a winter 2024 separation date. I currently have around 1900 hrs with around 1400 multi engine turbine time with 400 of that PIC multi turbine. The reason I say "flying" is because I haven't flown since June 2023 and will likely not fly the rest of the time I am here due to fleet downsizing/retiring, aircraft maintenance issues, and the command's prioritization of flying less experienced pilots.

My question is: what is the current hiring climate with regards to recency? By the time my availability date rolls around, I will have 0 hours in the last 1.5 years.

Between now and then I will be getting my ATP. Would a Legacy accept recency in the form of level D sim time (for the ATP, I could elect to get a type rating) and single engine GA as or would I just be wasting money?

The goal is United or American but I realize I might need to make a stop beforehand to gain recency. In that case, would an ULCC consider me without recency or am I looking at a stop in the regionals first?

UAL's military program specifically says they will offer you a CJO but you won't get a class date until you meet the requirements such as a full ATP and 50 hours in the last 12 months, so that's a pretty transparent benchmark to aim for. I've heard anecdotally that other companies like Delta will take a more nuanced view that puts you in a different "bucket" if for instance you're a sq/cc, then obviously you probably aren't flying as much as the rest of the unit. I don't know if there are "buckets" for exceptions like communities that are going extinct, or fighter pilots who don't rack up hours quickly, DNIF situations, etc. I think it's pretty optimisitc to think that there will be a ton of different carveouts for your particular situation when HR is dealing with having thousands upon thousands of applications on file. I think it's likely you will need a stepping stone job to get the hours, but apply everywhere and update your apps and let them decide if they can make an exception.

What about skills bridge? You need a 12 month lead time and you're a month inside that, but if you apply quickly sure you might stay in for another month or two. But at that point a stepping stone job will pay worse and have a similar timeline, so I don't think you have much to loose.