View Single Post
Old 02-10-2024, 05:01 PM
PNWFlyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015

Originally Posted by Regularguy View Post
I'm retired after 42 years at UAL (furlough and strike incuded) and you frankly have it completely wrong. Why? You ask!

You are 23 and the world is not viewed by today, this week, month or even this year. Bases, airplanes, layovers, food, drink, family, relationships and the world will all change in your years of career availability, so what should you look at?

1st - it is highly likely, but not guarenteed, that UAL and DAL will still be around for at least the next 10 years. Conclusion; either is a good choice.
2nd - Seniority over the next decade or so is EVERYTHING!!! Let me write it again but a bit LOUDER, SENORITY IS EVERYTHING!!!!!!

While you may think where you are based or what airplane you fly over the next few years is important, and it is somewhat, it matters more 20 or 30 years from now. Only the airline where you have the greatest senority (and is still in business) is the best place to be.

In my day it was normally the 1st (and only) airline to offer a job, however these days you have a choice. With that choice there is really only one major thing to consider, WHERE WILL I BE THE MOST SENIOR, and WHAT WILL THAT SENIORITY BUY ME at minimum 10 years from now.

Since you have a choice start this way, compare the two senority lists, where you will place today, then considering a 65 year old retirement with zero growth of flying, where will I be in 20 years on that list.

Right now it's good to be you. Enjoy a very rare time in the industry.
don’t play musical chairs in this business unless you have a really really good reason.

giving up seniority will follow you for the rest of your life. Make sure it is worth it.

also remember in March of 2020 some people left work at one airline on a Friday to start at United on Monday. United canceled the class over the weekend. What is your plan for that?