View Single Post
Old 02-11-2024, 05:29 AM
11atsomto
off weekends (if Reserve)

Joined APC: May 2023

Originally Posted by Regularguy View Post
I'm retired after 42 years at UAL (furlough and strike incuded) and you frankly have it completely wrong. With that choice there is really only one major thing to consider, WHERE WILL I BE THE MOST SENIOR, and WHAT WILL THAT SENIORITY BUY ME at minimum 10 years from now.
Im a big believer in the free exchange of ideas, and perspectives like these are welcome and encouraged. The OP hasn't had 9/11, 2008, food stamp regional pay, or even the pandemic. However I will politely disagree with your advice to him.

Originally Posted by Sliceback View Post
EWR. Imagine driving by EWR, with :45 minutes to 1:30 ahead of you, for the next 41+ years. Think of it this way - when you retire from Delta you'll have driven by EWR for 42 years....but if you choose to go to Delta you'll only have avoided the drive for 41.5 years. That six month loss isn't worth it...stick to Delta and suck it up! I'm absolutetly kidding - the difference in the drive, crossing the Hudson sucks, is much greater then the 'loss' of 1,000 numbers.
👆This 100%. I think as regular guy was saying think about that seniority in 10 years. Ok is 57% system wide THAT much worse than 51%....and then even specifically at EWR🤷🏾‍♂️
Where as he will be driving by wide bodies, seeing them take off for the far east, while he still has another :45 to 1:50 to go in his drive (traffic depending)

As your seniority gets better you may be more inclined to do day turns on da narrow body...something that his drive to JFK would be cost and time prohibitive.
I just think that drive past EWR will be a 40 year penalty that you will feel EVERY time, where as the 6-8% percent cut might haunt you into the unemployment line
If we have another black swan.