Gets Weekends Off
TheBear
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Nov 2023
  • Position
    727 Flight Engineer
Quote: What do you all think about this?
I just interviewed to be an FO at Contour with 1440 total time, 18 multi, and working as a CFII. Given how slow 121 regionals have been to respond or offer interviews, I was tempted, but the penalties are stiff. Is it a pilot pathway or indentured servitude? I have not read the contract; I am going off of what I was told.

Pilot Pathway to Skywest and United:
Upgrade to Captain once reached ATP mins and 500 in type, assuming systems/managerial knowledge sufficient and one winter season completed: $20,000 bonus
1000 hours PIC at Contour=flow to SKYwest with up to 2 years' seniority as DEC. After IOE at SKW-$20,000 bonus.
400 hours in at SKW: guaranteed interview with United (or Delta or Alaska).
After 1600 PIC at SKW: Can flow to United/etc.

Penalties for voluntary separation or termination:
$40,000 if you leave before upgrade at Contour
$60,000 if you leave after upgrade at Contour
$75,000 if you leave SKW after starting at SKW (nothing owed to Contour after leaving to SKW)

Skywest, but would much rather get hired as an FO directly without a contract like this. It seems unfathomable to agree to a contract that holds even to your next carrier. Is anyone getting hired as an FO at the regionals right now with 1500 hours?
If I were you I would take the Contour job outside any contract then once you have enough time any regional or LCC (if they’re hiring) would take you. Same progression without any contractual obligation.