Thread: SWA to AA (Pros/Cons)

Traffic Alert , 03-11-2024 08:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off
Traffic Alert
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Mar 2023
Quote: Its a terrible analogy. I agree there is a lot of institutional inertia at SWA, but it stops there. No offense to pilots, but we are idiots when it comes to the ins and outs of running an airline and a major corporation.
SWA is a big ship with a tiny rudder, but if you get your head out of your a$$, you can see it is in a turn to avoid the iceberg. Things are changing....slowly. The things that pilots want most (another type, long haul flying, a complete overhaul of our cabin product) are incredibly complex and difficult to do. Right now they are repairing the bones of the operation and trying to build the network they need to grow. Unfortunately, they partnered with an airplane manufacturer that has forgotten how to manufacture airplanes. This too shall pass.
Here's an analogy for you. SWA is a house. It's a nice house, maybe just a little on the outdated side. It works great, people stay there and pay the rent. Right now it is getting some electrical and plumbing work done in the kitchen. It is ripped down to studs and needs new counters and backsplash when the electrical and plumbing guys finish. Pilots are wanting the owners to slap on a fresh coat of paint and have picked out all the latest colors, but there's just no walls right now. Give it time.
I’ve got over 2 decades of management experience and an MBA. I know a few things about how publicly traded businesses run.

SWA is stuck in a rut and the only way to get out of one is to do something big. Btw.. heard we are updating our snack mix soon. Must have taken years of testing for that!