View Single Post
Old 03-14-2024, 11:43 PM
Flyler
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2021

Originally Posted by Elevation View Post
I agree with the previous poster's (zero's) advice. I disagree with the rationale. A company is a company and plenty of good people work at all of them. ATSG carriers have separate seniority lists and poorly diversified clientele. So if ATI loses Amazon business you can't cross over and fly AMC charters for Omni for example. The future is unpredictable, however. A few years ago, Atlas was the place to avoid and people were going to ATI. So regardless of which choice you make, you're landing in thr same, general neighborhood.

Regarding homework, I believe people may be referring to old animosities of ATI being an ALPA carrier while others are teamsters. That allows airlines to be pitted against each other. You're not in the wrong for not knowing this. No big deal. There is no absence of due diligence on your part.

There are some (not necessarily zero, but there are some) folks who think that by working at an ALPA carrier you are somehow weakening our bargaining position. Really this is just about the human drive to form tribes. You have to ignore a number of other factors (I'll spare you a long list.) for this to be a significant factor. Screw tribes. Go where it's best for you. Right now I believe Atlas is the best of the okay. Don't skip that class date until you have another one lined up, though
Thanks for the more nuanced approach. Im likely going to go wth ATI. I think the fast upgrade time will be more suited to my career goals in the long run. Tribes be damned, we're all here trying to navigate the increasingly confusing waters.