Old 03-20-2024, 07:45 PM
Otterbox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by jkbe400 View Post
Anyone have input on UAL vs AAL at DCA? I prefer to live on the western side of VA, so Dulles is closer to where I want to live and I'll live in base. However, my understanding is that both airlines cover IAD, BWI, and DCA. I'm assuming I'll be on the 737 initially for both companies, but UAL has more widebody opportunities in the long run. Will lifestyle in the near term be basically the same? Thanks!
UAL>AA in DC because of the various fleet types in UALs DCA base vs AAs. Movement will initially be quicker up the list at AA but there's no AA widebody flying in DC and no plans for it (this has been specifically addressed in AA employee calls. The closest WB flying you'll get to DCA is PHL). UAL DC flying is mostly centered around IAD, AA's is mostly centered around DCA approximately 70-75% of the UAL NB flying is centered around IAD, 100% 767+ is IAD. Probably 75% of AAs flying in the DC area is done out of DCA with a bunch in BWI and very little in IAD post covid. I know one guy who was AA DCA and left for UAL after a few months just for the widebody opportunity. He lives in base and closer to DCA but has got zero regrets due to the long term opportunities at UAL in DC.