View Single Post
Old 03-21-2024, 04:00 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

I was first given progressive lenses. Hated them with a passion. Couldn't figure out where to put my feet. Ran into targets on the shooting range when resetting steel. Had no peripheral vision. Forget about stairs.

Switched to bifocals. Nirvanah. Some putz during a steel match at the range glanced at my shooting glasses and said "Dude! Are thos bifocals?" as though he'd seen an archaeological wonder, and I smiled and said yes, they are. Different strokes, worked like a charm, and all my glasses are set up that way except a few prescription readers. Taller bifocal lowers with no magnification for the instrument panel, clear line where one begins and the other ends. Sunglasses are like that. I like them.

The FAA doesn't tolerate monocular adjustment with one eye near, one far, in contacts, for good reason. It can be done surgically, but really shouldn't, and it's not a minor thing to have it done, or to press forward with the approval and special issuance. Nor is it cheap. Unlike contacts, however, or glasses, it's permanent.