View Single Post
Old 03-29-2024, 08:47 AM
blackbox348
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Originally Posted by PineappleXpres View Post
All valid, but consider:

We had/have a defend mentality.

We had great interisland margins until we didn’t.

We only introduce new flying where we only attempt monopolistic type routes. Like, “Gee I wonder why nobody else is or why everyone else stopped route x.” On that note, we don’t want to fly into fortress hubs of other carriers and step on any one else’s toes. Meanwhile everyone is gunning to fly to Hawaii.

We cling to what worked, like Japan. Flying empty planes hemorrhaging money.

We carry “extra” staff for long haul flying and the training bubbles and inefficiencies of a diverse fleet and route structure. There are advantage to that complexity like negotiating power or like when a fleet is parked due to operational or manufacturing woes, the other picks up the slack.

We are trying really hard to offer a premium leisure product while still offering basic economy to satisfy everyone and somehow “feel” different.

We have a very low attrition rate due to our varied, east flying and high qol.

Sucks we can’t make money and I’m as worried as anybody Hono gets shrunk or Amazon pulls the plug or whipsaws.

BUT, I also don’t want my checks to bounce.

There is a reason, beyond the SWAPA/staple thing, that HAL pilots prefer Alaska over Southwest. We must see something in you that says “hang on, this merger could work with an all 737 type operator.”

You are right, margins will erode. I’d be more nervous than ever with a MAX only growth plan for the next 20 years. Change can be a good thing. Some parts of it anyways.
HA Guy Here 👋🏻

Hawaiian management walked past $1 hoping $1.25 was around the corner, only to find nothing, time and time again.

The truth is, Hawaiian has just been horribly mismanaged over the last few years. Just one stroll through koapaka or a day of CQ and you can see the inefficiencies. While I enjoy the money, the amount of wasteful spending on premium pay, travel, training inefficiencies etc is ridiculous. Just talk to an instructor and look at their W2…they’re working for it, but the training department alone has to be responsible for tens of thousands in losses per day.

it’s just been one bad decision after another. Unproven GTF Engines, whipsawing line service and having newbie rampers nearly total airframes, doubling down on Japan instead of growing new markets, the list goes on…

It seems like HA management is just starting to realize the mistakes they’ve made and take corrective action, they’re reactive instead of proactive.

Alaska sees the potential and with their management they can right this ship, sure some of the laid back woke culture will be lost, but right now it seems like that takes precedent before profits.

I think Hawaiian is the plug and play option for Alaska to become a true international carrier, and probably cheaper too. We have the 787/330 program, NAT Tracks, and can run an international airline. Pre-COVID and before southwests entry into the market (as they’re currently cutting more than 50% of their hawaii flying) HA was a cash cow. With this deal Alaska is basically buying us for our $900M. 1.9B for an airline with $1B cash and $900M debt…cheaper than the cost of 3 787-9. They say within the first two years they can realize over $250M in synergies…we’re a steal.

Alaska was an acquisition target, Hawaiian was an acquisition target, southwest is on the hunt and willing to play dirty. I think this marriage is the best case scenario with those airlines in the dating pool and the current views of the DOJ. This will allow the two to become a true legacy carrier and compete with the big guys while still offering a more unique experience catered to the granola eaters and surfer bruhs.

While I know I may take a hit in the short term, in the long term I am looking forward to the security and the potential this new airline has and at this point that’s all I can do. This has the potential to be really great, Hawaiians management can’t get us there…but Alaskas can.