View Single Post
Old 03-29-2024, 02:17 PM
Neosporin
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: outside

Originally Posted by blackbox348 View Post
HA Guy Here 👋🏻

Hawaiian management walked past $1 hoping $1.25 was around the corner, only to find nothing, time and time again.

The truth is, Hawaiian has just been horribly mismanaged over the last few years. Just one stroll through koapaka or a day of CQ and you can see the inefficiencies. While I enjoy the money, the amount of wasteful spending on premium pay, travel, training inefficiencies etc is ridiculous. Just talk to an instructor and look at their W2…they’re working for it, but the training department alone has to be responsible for tens of thousands in losses per day.

it’s just been one bad decision after another. Unproven GTF Engines, whipsawing line service and having newbie rampers nearly total airframes, doubling down on Japan instead of growing new markets, the list goes on…

It seems like HA management is just starting to realize the mistakes they’ve made and take corrective action, they’re reactive instead of proactive.

Alaska sees the potential and with their management they can right this ship, sure some of the laid back woke culture will be lost, but right now it seems like that takes precedent before profits.

I think Hawaiian is the plug and play option for Alaska to become a true international carrier, and probably cheaper too. We have the 787/330 program, NAT Tracks, and can run an international airline. Pre-COVID and before southwests entry into the market (as they’re currently cutting more than 50% of their hawaii flying) HA was a cash cow. With this deal Alaska is basically buying us for our $900M. 1.9B for an airline with $1B cash and $900M debt…cheaper than the cost of 3 787-9. They say within the first two years they can realize over $250M in synergies…we’re a steal.

Alaska was an acquisition target, Hawaiian was an acquisition target, southwest is on the hunt and willing to play dirty. I think this marriage is the best case scenario with those airlines in the dating pool and the current views of the DOJ. This will allow the two to become a true legacy carrier and compete with the big guys while still offering a more unique experience catered to the granola eaters and surfer bruhs.

While I know I may take a hit in the short term, in the long term I am looking forward to the security and the potential this new airline has and at this point that’s all I can do. This has the potential to be really great, Hawaiians management can’t get us there…but Alaskas can.
Great post!

Some details to consider, not that I am in the know, just an observer, but a question is, are they're 787 options in our 787 orders?
The other thing to some of the earlier posters, the point the blackbox mentioned, destinations.
AS is buying the 787 orders and routes/gates slots, SYD, NRT, HND and KIX.
This does seem like a good deal for the price. AA bought TWA for like $900,000,000, what did they buy, 757/767s and all the int'l gates like London, Tel Aviv, Delhi, etc. not STL that's for sure.