View Single Post
Old 03-30-2024, 09:32 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by AKCattleCarrier View Post
So the argument is AS is buying some 787s and gates in Japan and Australia and the associated routes. Routes that HA has been unable to make money on. But somehow our management team, with 0 experience with international widebody flying is going to turn those routes profitable, under the guidance of the HA leadership team that has not only not been able to make those routes profitable but by all accounts on this blog has run a once great company into the ground? IDK, this whole thing reeks of a decade long stagnation for the combined pilot group as AS gets rid of everything that doesn't meet its profit metrics and qualls another 1000 pilots on 737s. And now 1700 pilots instead of 700 that don't want to be here.

Again I hope I'm wrong, and I truly hope it works out for everyone. But I have yet to see a rational argument for this merger where the benefits outweigh the risks.
It's risky business for sure, especially compared to the traditional AS paradigm.

But I also think there's unquantified risk in doing nothing, and getting squeezed long-term by bigger operators. Especially since the Eskimo seems to be losing his traditional labor discount relative to the big majors.

Personally, it's not going to do anything for me other than expanded non-rev opportunities in retirement. That's good, Asia seems more interesting than PSC, YKM, YAK, etc. But it will probably be beneficial for younger folks. Probably.