View Single Post
Old 04-04-2024, 06:07 AM
day7503
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2024

I currently attend Skyborne VB and I can tell you that the training is 2nd to none (I came in with my PPL from a part 61 school). I come from a family of aviators DAL, UAL, JB, and I had opportunities to attend all the big college programs but ultimately chose here. They do advertise 0 to hero in 12 months but it's not accurate, you're really looking at 15-18 months. For people with PPL it was advertised as 10 months but it's looking like it'll take me 11-12 months (I do plan on taking the first break of my time here during multi-engine training) so that contributes to it. They do have the DAL propel program which is a huge bonus, honestly, this is the main reason I'm here and I can endure everything I mention below for a job offer from them at this stage of my training.

Fair warning though, QOL isn't the best, Vero Beach is a sleepy town, with a population of fewer than 15k people and the average age being in the mid 50's - retirement ville. If you're a younger person who needs a social experience be prepared to give that up for the duration of your time here and the dating pool isn't ideal. Living arrangements aren't bad but they're not great. Depending on which building you're in you might not have your own room. I hope the person considering Skyborne enjoys golf or running because there's really not too much to do here. A bunch of breweries, wineries, and distilleries but that gets old quickly and isn't ideal for flight training or health (I'm 21 so it was fun while it lasted for about 2 weeks). All that being said though, the area is extremely safe, and the people are very nice, I think the food options here outside of grocery shopping are awesome.

Overall, I see living here as a 12-18 month sacrifice that will pay off dividends in the future. I do feel very well trained and there was a change in upper management recently that benefited the students. If the potential student is mentally tough, has a strong "why", and is willing to make some sacrifices, while being held to a high standard (check rides and stage checks are done to Skyborne standard, not just FAA ACS. Student's are required to adhere to checklists, flows, and company policy) then they could be a good fit