View Single Post
Old 04-05-2024, 07:30 PM
Purpo
Long Call

Joined APC: Mar 2022
Position: Sitting down
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cleared4appch View Post
Ok, many, many things going on here in your post. Let me say this, and don’t take this the wrong way dude. I am saying this merely to help you going forward, not trying to drag you down. Only trying to build you up.

121 is the big leagues. It’s not general aviation CFI work anymore. I was also a CFI in the beginning of my career. Took my job very seriously and always tried to apply the fundamentals of instruction 100% of the time. I had a pass rate similar to yours. When I went to my regional, I knew going in to not expect many of the instructors to have a passion for teaching. And turns out, many of them didn’t. There were a few that I could tell truly enjoyed teaching. But what I’ve learned is that airline training is a freaking firehose, and they really do not have time to teach you everything. A part of the test for you in training and on the line is seeing how much initiative you take. Did you prepare for the flight that morning or the night before in the hotel room? Or were you out at the bar till 1am? Did you go over the company pages, look over the expected arrivals/approaches/departures, expected taxi routing, etc. etc. etc. etc? Did you look over the weather to expect? Did you chair fly your callouts/profiles?

They certainly do expect you to fill in the gaps a lot. I disagreed with that mentality at first, but as I got deeper into the program and got to the line, I started to realize that as professionals, we have to strive to be the best we can. It’s expected of us. Every single day. Learn as much as we can. Every single flight. This comes in the form of self-debriefs. Self-critiques. Take what you learned with helping students in GA, and aggressively apply that to helping yourself get through your first 121 job. There are gonna be plenty of days when you will feel behind. It happens to all of us. With time and experience in a jet, you will begin to feel very confident.

121 is a completely different animal than 91 GA. There’s very little comparison to be honest. And yea you may sometimes get unlucky and have a real douche bag of an instructor/check airmen, etc. I’ve had plenty of them. I know it sucks. But whatever you do, do not blame them for your failures. Period. It will not help you. At all. I am saying this in hopes that you take it and learn from it.
This post could be a sticky. Solid advice.