View Single Post
Old 04-08-2024, 06:49 AM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by ReluctantEskimo View Post

GOP Rep. Mike Turner: Russian propaganda is 'being uttered on the House floor'

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/gop-rep-mike-turner-russian-propaganda-uttered-house-floor-rcna146760

And on APC, of course.
Mike Turner, Mike Turner, now just where have I heard that name before?

Oh yes, the guy who cried "wolf"...

By KELLY GARRITY

02/18/2024 08:34 AM EST

House Intelligence Chair Mike Turner defended his decision to issue a public statement about a national security threat that was later revealed to be about Russia’s nuclear capabilities in space.

“We need to make certain that we avert what could be an international crisis. I was concerned that it appeared that the administration was sleepwalking into an international crisis. But it looks like now they’re going to be able to take action,” the Ohio Republican said during an interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press” airing Sunday.Turner faced intense criticism, particularly from privacy hawks and members of his party’s right flank, for his decision to release a cryptic statement about “a serious” threat, requesting that the White House declassify all information relating to it.
Rep. Andy Ogles (R-Tenn.), a member of the far-right House Freedom Caucus, called on Speaker Mike Johnson on Thursday to launch a formal inquiry into Turner’s statement, accusing Turner of trying to bolster support for two of his legislative priorities: sending more aid to Ukraine and renewing a controversial surveillance power.
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/18/turner-statement-russia-nuclear-capabilities-in-space-00142061

https://youtu.be/7dTU-hx7cfA?si=rti60OIvwJTzuL28

​​​​​​​
House Intelligence Chairman Mike Turner is facing sharp criticism – including from within his own party – as some GOP lawmakers are complaining that a statement the Ohio Republican made Wednesday was alarmist, “constituted poor judgement” and should be investigated.

Some of Turner’s colleagues believe he was drawing attention to a Russian threat to build support for Ukraine aid and others believe it was his effort to push for his version of a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act overhaul that was facing a vote later in the day.

“It’s *******ing bullsh*t,” one prominent House Republican told CNN of Turner’s move. “He ought to lose his job. He did that to get his way on FISA.”

Others were just as unnerved by the move.

“I don’t know what his motives were it just to me, it just looks bad,” Republican Rep. Tim Burchett of Tennessee told CNN’s Manu Raju. “I have a bad feeling about this.”

Another Tennessee Republican, Rep. Andy Ogles, sent a scathing letter to House Speaker Mike Johnson on Thursday calling for an investigation into Turner for his vague statements, calling his disclosure “reckless” and asserting he disregarded of the consequences.

“This act constituted poor judgement at a minimum and a complete breach of trust influenced by the pursuit of a political agenda at a maximum … it is with great reticence that I formally request an inquiry as to any impact the Chairman’s statements may have had on U.S. foreign and domestic policy,” Ogles wrote.

CNN has reached out to Johnson for comment on the letter.

Not long after Turner released his statement warning of a “serious national security threat,” Johnson arranged a last-minute news conference in the Capitol to make clear there’s “no need for public alarm” and clarifying he had already requested a briefing on the matter a month ago.

​​​​​​​