View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 01:44 AM
Freightbird
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: A300 Capt

Originally Posted by TheBaron View Post
How, exactly, does taking the scheduled DH hurt the company?

It does not "hurt" the company, but it may help show that commuters are vital to our system reliability.

For example, today there are 5 crews or 15 pilots scheduled to be on AA 1919 MEM-DFW. Most will deviate from this flight that has a 1 Star rating due to a 60% on time track record. The average delay listed on http://www.flightstats.com was :27 minutes.

If this flight mis-connects in Dallas, there should be 15 phone calls, 15 new reservations and concern for legal rest periods for 5 crews.

Instead, I will carry the burden of traveling on my shoulders. The accepted fare is $100 lower than the price Global Travel just quoted me for the same AA flights. And if the optimizer finds a way on RJ's or some LCC, the spread between actual costs and allowance will be even greater.

So, if we would all come to MEM for a Sunday night dinner once in while the reservations may be spread out among more airlines and not always the cheapest seats. I jumpseat down on Sundays during the middle of winter.

Is it worth it? Yes, I woke up looking at the snow covered Rockies this morning!