Gets Weekends Off
Slice
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jan 2006
  • Position
    Spartan
Quote: To quote both of you, I have the same ability in the military. If I make a call for safety then that is it. No amount of pressure from anyone can force me into an unsafe decision. If you believe that the only way to ensure that is to have a senority based system then that is sad.

Every pilot out there, private all the way through ATP, from military to corporate, has a duty and obligation to be safe. If you feel that you can only do that because you have a "senority" based system, then you need to find your convictions.

If someone tries to pin me to the wall because I didn't move the mission according to their plans, then I have the Inspector General that I can go to and lodge a formal complaint. I am protected when I call "safety."

Senority does nothing to make people safe. People make people safe. That is why we have the upgrade process, whichever way you slice it. Without that base of knowledge and experience, then you would have people making decisions that they may not be ready to make. To rationalize your argument, you are saying that airline pilots are safer than military pilots because of the system that regulates their upgrades?

I am a safe pilot because the people that have tought and instructed me and the people that I have learned lessons from took the time to instill in me the desire to be safe and make good decisions. People did that, not a system.

Please understand me when I say that the senority system is flawed, and so is the merit system. Neither is perfect. The reason why they are not perfect is because they rely on inperfect people to make them work.

If you are happy with the system, then great, but if you're unhappy then you should seek change. Just my humble opinion.
I look forward to your posting on this subject after a year or two on the line...I think you'll be a changed man.