View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 07:58 PM
DAL4EVER
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: 88B - Loud Pipes Save Lives

Originally Posted by DAWGS View Post
NWA MEC Communications:

A relative seniority list that looks great graphically on the day after the merger begs some questions: are the pilot demographics so perfectly matched that, as future attrition occurs, the list will continue to look great?

Therein lies the reason it seems the list negotiation wasn't successful. As a junior Delta pilot, I would like to see the NW side acknowledge all of the FUTURE Delta pilots retiring in greater numbers just after the NW exodus. If NW wants to receive credit, we should as well. The only way I see around it is some fluid system of awarding seniority credit when NW pilots retire vs DL pilots retiring to their original respective pilots. I think a list with relative seniority and this credit to its pilots would be fair. I think it would have to continue till the last pilot on either list retires that is on the list today. I think that would probably stretch out to almost 40 years. We have some pretty young new hires. I mean if we want to make it completely fair, right?? Having said that I think it would be divisive. You would be forever tied to the pre-merged group. And as the MEC statement above states, "as future attrition occurs, will the list continue to look great? Well it would depend on what side you were on and what year it is. I know DL has many more retiring over my career.

One other thing, the DL pilots have not sold anyone out. IMHO, I think our union has gone over and beyond to do the right thing in previous mergers (resulting in our own being furloughed) and how they treated others and me during furlough. Cobra benefits for years, emergency relief fund, etc. Of course, they haven't always made the best decisions, but LOA 19 is a good one IMO. We used what little leverage we had to raise the bar. It is a starting point for the joint contract. Nothing more. I would hope the majority at NW sees it this way. We need to work together to restore the profession. I do not think playing "he said" is going to get the job done. And burning down OUR house is not in anyone's best interest.

Best of luck to us all
Dawgs
Welcome aboard Dawgs! I agree, the MEC went above and beyond the call of duty with the furloughed guys and how we were treated. Cobra to anyone who needed for the entire length of furlough? Fantastic. Also, furloughed guys were able to get a nice allocation, especially those of us who returned. I feel like we are in great hands with Lee at the helm. He has a strong business acumen and plays hardball. Name any other MEC Chairman who put the fear of God into the Wall Street boys. Every other ALPA group is following his lead now. I'd say throw Praeter out and put Lee in. JMHO.