Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 AM
FlyHappy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: What do you have?

Originally Posted by Laxrox43 View Post
Are there any USAF folks out there that could tell me the type of corrective eye surgery that the US Air Force has approved?

Right now, my eye sight is 20/200, which isn't horrible, but it isn't great either. I'd like to get that taken care of ASAP - in other words...when I take my vacation.

Thanks
The short answer is NONE! DO NOT, repeat DO NOT go get laser eye surgery on your own -- if you do, you just made yourself permanently pilot disqualified. ONCE you are on in the Air Force, THEN laser eye surgery becomes an option. The Air Force Academy is approving laser eye surgery for cadets on a case-by-case basis and it is accomplished through the Air Force. The same might hold true for active duty. I cannot stress enough to NOT go get the surgery on your own! The ones that are "approved" means the person was already in the Air Force and the Air Force sent them for surgery. If your vision can be corrected to 20/20, I'd avoid surgery all together since you have a more significant risk than advertised of it not going well and then you just f---ed yourself.