View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 03:27 AM
Planespotta
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Dream within a dream

Originally Posted by LineTroll View Post
I keep hearing this everywhere and anywhere, especially on here. Pilots are often referred to as "glorified bus drivers" and I have even seen comparisons in pay scale on here This comparison has to go, it's absolutely ridiculous.

First off, the amount of technical knowledge and training required to be a pilot should be enough seperation to keep the two from ever being compared. If something goes wrong on a bus they pull over and wait for a tow truck.

Second, guiding an aircraft through the skies is no easy task, I don't care what sort of autopilot you have. Airspace is so dynamic and changes so much that it requires a great amount of expertise to be able to navigate your vessel through it safely and efficiently. You use more judgement in one flight into bad weather than a bus driver will use in their whole career.

Instead of comparing pilots to bus drivers we should be making a comparison with ship captains.
I have actually thought a lot about this, too, and agree that it is much more like captaining a ship than it is driving a bus. The level of knowledge a professional pilot must have of aerodynamics, his/her airplane, airspace, regulations, etc. outdoes that of any other professional in transportation (with the possible exception of the space shuttle).