View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Carl Spackler
Back on TDY

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: 747-400 Captain

Originally Posted by DAL4EVER View Post
Yeah, the billions that the hedge funds, bankers and lawyers are going to make will take that into consideration. One could argue it would be better to be merged into a more powerful entity than have a hedge fund buy you and then break up the pieces. DAL is No. 1 to Europe, Africa, Middle East and No. 2 to Central and South America. NWA is No. 1 in Japan and No. 2 in Asia. Yet both our market values are around $2.4 billion today. Do you not think the vultures aren't salivating over wanting to buy the whole for pennies and sell the assets for billions more? Take a look at what Icahn and the rest of them do.

They have, can and will do this at some point. NWALPA has publicly slammed DALPA at every opportunity so far. DALPA responded on this latest disparage. I'm not trying to say who is right or wrong but if you are looking for respect look in the mirror and your fellow pilots. They're the only one's who care about you. You are a cog in a wheel in a profession that long ago was given up by the public.

CAL wants nothing to do with a merger. They have publicly stated that and their board endorsed it. They do want those routes. I believe they are waiting for a CH.11 filing by UAL and then they will swoop in for the kill. I'm a bit nervous that no other carriers are pursuing the merger game. Either NWA/DAL is the best in town, or the others are realizing that the costs could outweigh the benefits. If the merger is consummated, the vitriolic relationship between NWALPA/DALPA must stop or we will kill ourselves. I still have 29 years to go and don't want to see this happen.
Take a look at our stock prices. The hedge funds and investment banks are getting killed by their investments in our stocks. There is virtually no hope for them to realize anything but big losses. In my opinion, the hedge funds have lost all of their ability to pressure Anderson and Steenland. And while I never assumed any hedge fund would care what I think, I do think there is a fundamental disrespect for what NWA brings to the merger. It shows over and over again on these forums and in what I read from both DALPA and NWALPA. I simply think another corporate combination would be better for NWA. Delta's stock is sinking so fast, you may not be in a position to acquire anybody with a stock swap.

Not at all worried about a Carl Icahn style break up. The only way that could happen is if we were in a liquidation situation. We have as much unrestricted cash as Delta and we are much smaller with lower costs. There will be many other airline liquidations before NWA gets there, and given the numbers, Delta would go before NWA.

Carl