View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 07:22 PM
fr8rcaptain
Gets all holidays off

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: Retired UPS 767 Captain, SDF Z
Default how deep is the water

Originally Posted by ⌐ AV8OR WANNABE View Post
I called Fidelity today and am opening a brokerage account linked to my B-plan. Once it’s opened - will I be able to invest directly in a stock A or will I have to invest it in a mutual fund that’s part of the plan now, sell it and then reinvest it into the stock of my choice? Clear as mud?

Right now I have selected several mutual funds focused on Asia where 30% goes to one fund, 40 % goes to another one, etc. Basically my question is – once the brokerage account is opened – will I be able to select let’s say 30% of the company’s contribution to go straight to buy me Google stock, 20% to buy Gazprom stock, etc…?
Now before you dive into this swimming hole head first, email our pension committee chair for the average rate of returns chart. You might be surprised to see the core funds outperform those who dabble in the market with a brokerage account.

I'm sure there are many examples of pilots that do well with brokerage accounts, but you're really going to invest time, etc. Good luck either way!

PS Thank goodness the typical pilot is only a great driver, carpenter, and invesment guru; most of us shouldn't perform our own dental work though...