View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 07:36 PM
fatmike69
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: EMB120 CA

I have the same problem, and was once considering the ear tubes as a solution. Problem with the tubes is that they can leave scar tissue over time, and especially the more permanent tubes will likely leave a permanent perforation, that could require another surgery sometime down the line. From what I understand, hearing also takes a hit with the tubes. How much depends on how big the hole in the tympanic membrane is.

I was fortunate in that I met a diver one day who tought me some very effective equalization techniques. It used to be that I would end up clogged about 70% of the time on descents (usually my left ear). A few times it led to a complete ear block, as fluid got sucked into it and it would be weeks before my hearing would be normal. After learning how to correctly and aggresively clear using diver techniques, I have not had an ear plug up on me at all over the last 4 years. I just have to be careful not to fly with a cold, as this can still do it. PM me if you are interested in learning these techniques, they are very effective, but somewhat difficult to master, and would take lots of posting space to spell them out.....