Thread: why is SKYW interested in XJT at all?

Blank , 05-23-2008 02:50 PM
New Hire
Blank
New Hire
close
  • Joined APC
    May 2008
  • Position
    CRJ, Left
Quote: Whipsaw is union term, bring multiple labor groups against eachother under the same holding company is "whipsawing." Its used extensively in "Flying the Line" the definitive history of YOUR profession. If its not in your vocabulary, it opens to question your knowledge of aviation history.
Actually, I've been in the 121 industry for 9 years as a pilot, and studied the industry for 4 years in college prior to that, but whatever. All I've learned in the short 13 years is:

Union or not, we're all in this struggle together. Unions are historically bad for business, which equals historically bad for employees. The only good part of union membership is work rule protection. I'm not completely convinced SkyWest doesn't need a union, but I think one here would do more harm than good at this stage of the game.

As for "Flying the Line," one book doesn't have all the answers. I've read it, along with many others and don't see the significance of its use of "whipsawing." I'd rather call it competitiveness--something we all should strive for.