View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 01:48 PM
SKMarz
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: Cap. 737

Cloud Sailor,

My husband made it to the presentation (just barely, his flight got delayed two hours, typical!). He just left on a trip, so I will answer on his behalf. He was impressed with the overall feel of it but still has some concerns (as I'm sure you and others do). We are not really worried about giving up his seniority at his current carrier, but are obviously conflicted about UPS since he was wanted to be there for more years than I can count. He took an interview date in September but we may have to try to see if we can move that up to an earlier date to ensure we have someone to take care of our little ones while we are there. I can't imagine him trying to prepare for a three day interview with two toddlers crying and screaming due to exhaustion.

Personally, our decision is made more difficult because we will be impacting the life of our foster son. If that wasn't an issue, if we liked what we saw in Dubai and he got the offer, he would probably go sooner rather than later. I get the feeling UPS won't be hiring for two or three years but I realize that not even UPS probably knows that answer. I don't know if UPS would have a deferral option in the pool so we can cope with the training bond issue. Of course, who knows, maybe we would love it and want to stay.

One thing I have learned is that things are rarely what you think they will be, things are sometimes better, sometimes worse, but rarely meet your expectations, and that would probably even be true at UPS.

I just really want to do our homework to ensure we make the most informed decision possible. As it is for most people, being away from family is the most challenging aspect. Both of our Mom's are 70 years old, currently in good health but I just think what would happen if they begin to experience health problems. I wonder if EK offers any amount of compassionate leave time or equivalent.

We weren't able to get a babysitter, so I couldn't go the road show. I wish my husband and pressed a little harder when he asked about the wait to get into housing. He was assured that because we have children under 18, we would be put in a villa immediately, with no wait period.... that doesn't seem to be what I have read on this forum so if anyone has clarification, that would be great.

So now, we wait and see, and in the meantime, I will be spending quite a few hours in on our computer researching the topic.

Last edited by SKMarz; 05-24-2008 at 05:36 PM.