View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 06:31 PM
bus canuck
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A332/A340

Originally Posted by SKMarz View Post

I just really want to do our homework to ensure we make the most informed decision possible. As it is for most people, being away from family is the most challenging aspect. Both of our Mom's are 70 years old, currently in good health but I just think what would happen if they begin to experience health problems. I wonder if EK offers any amount of compassionate leave time or equivalent.

We weren't able to get a babysitter, so I couldn't go the road show. I wish my husband and pressed a little harder when he asked about the wait to get into housing. He was assured that because we have children under 18, we would be put in a villa immediately, with no wait period.... that doesn't seem to be what I have read on this forum so if anyone has clarification, that would be great.

I'll say one thing for Emirates; they're good with family health issues. When my wife's family had a crisis, I was given a week's emergency leave to stay with the kids and she had a firm ticket home within 3 hours. Even the most pessimist types tend to admit the company is good in this area.

As for the villa, what your hubby was told simply isn't correct. I'm don't think they'd lie to him, so there must have been a misunderstanding. Many years ago I went villa-less despite my having kids and right now, there are simply no villas to have so families are waiting about 6 months. There are a couple of huge complexes being built so if you joined late this year, there might not be a wait, but who knows?

Anyway, I'm saying too much good about EK - starting to sound like Typhoon! Ask me about how they award upgrades so I can balance it out.