View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 10:22 PM
BobSakamano
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: awkward & cramped

Originally Posted by squawkoff View Post
I updated airlineapps this morning and received the email offer to interview with Comair this afternoon. I live in the DFW area and want to know how hard it is to commute to JFK or CVG if I am on reserve? Once I get a line I'm not concerned with commuting. Some airlines don't want you to commute while you are on reserve or your first year. Is there a limit on how far from the airport you can be (less than 2 hours, etc.) while on reserve? I have relatives in Lexington KY that I could stay with if need be. Just concerned with QOL the first year.

Does Comair have a sim ride during the interview?

Thanks in advance
Commuting on reserve is never easy. With the cutbacks that have taken place plus the one's expected to come, it's certainly not going to get any easier. Comair has quite a few commuters out of DFW. On weekdays, there are about 10 n/s flights between DFW and CVG. Expect 30-40% fewer flights on weekends. The DL Connection flights are all CRJ700/900's. The majority of the flights are American Eagle ERJ-135/145's, which are often weight restricted.

There are even fewer flights between DFW and JFK. At least AA uses MD-88's.

Regardless, consider going through ATL only as a last resort. It can be a real PITA and there are few places that are worse to be stuck at over night. Any commute greater than one leg is shear misery.

That being said, Comair doesn't restrict commuters...even first year FO's on probation. Once finished with IOE, as a commuter, you're covered by Comair's commuter clause. There are Comair guys commuting from as far away as Brazil and Hawaii.

You'll have to see how your quality of life is as a commuter. Some people can stomach it, others can't. If you're married or at least attached, get ready to pack your bags...you'll be going on a permanent guilt trip.

BTW, no sim ride at Comair. There is just a computer based cognitive skills test. Don't worry about it, it's designed to make you feel stupid. You'll be fine.