View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 05:41 AM
FOTGTD

Brav, first you must answer some questions like:

What is your age?
What are your goals in aviation?
Do you have a degree or are you in school now?
Where is the money for training coming from and how much?
Single, married, divorced, kids, bills, mortgage?

These are just a few items to think about. Once you determine your overall situation you will be able to make a better decision.

That being said I would be very careful with the"academy" choice. Sure they have glossy ads and promise the "interview" with an airline, but remember nothing is for sure. I'm glad the price tag scared you. Training does not need to cost $60,000-$100,000. And as far as the whole airline training enviroment is concerned, frankly I don't buy it. The best and most professional guys I work with seem to be former instructors and freight dogs. I myself did the instructor route.

I would find a good, quality FBO near you and find someone you enjoy flying with. Don't know where to start? Go to airport and start asking around. Everyone needs BFR's and checkouts so I'm sure someone knows a good CFI. Also, you should never have to pony up all the money upfront. remember you are the customer and can decide if the training is right for you. If not take you and your money elsewhere. These academy schools generally ask for all your money upfront and then you are at their mercy. Not Good.

Time is of importance to you? If you commit yourself you can learn and aquire your ratings just as quick on your own. Don't fall for the "be an airline pilot in 10 months" crap. Also, places such as www.shebleaviation.com can really push you through if your up to the task. Private thru CFI.

There is alot to think about when starting training. Choose wisely and listen to your gut. If it sounds to good to be true......you know the rest.