View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 10:52 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by PhantomAir
Hi everyone,
I'm 36 years old and I've been in the Concert Industry for 15 years now and I feel it's time for a change of career. (since the Concert industry doesn't really have an "escape" plan)

I've always wanted to be an airline pilot, and I am hearing mixed opinions on whether or not it's worth it to start at my age.

I realize the mandatory retirement age is 60, so I know that if I start now, I only have about 22 years or so to fly commercial.

I'm not married, nor do I have children, so it's not like someone will suffer if I go to school for the next 14 months.

I've been looking at this Regional Air Academy in Phoenix. Anybody heard of it?

Thanks
You could reasonably do it if you keep a few things in mind...

1) Start RIGHT NOW!

2) Research pay and lifestyle at regional airlines. If a large regional has a large base in your town or a town you would love to live in, then your quality of life would be greatly enhanced.

3) Assume that you will spend your entire career at a regional. Accept the payscale of that. While it is possible you might get hired at a major, you would be so old that by the time you paid your dues at the major, it would be retirement time.

4) It is very likely, not guaranteed, that the retirement age will be raised above 60. However, it becomes more difficult to retain your medical beyonf age 55. A really healthy life style helps.

5) Research flight schools extensively on the internet, you have a LOT of reading to do. Avoid big-name "glossy-brochure" flight schools...they usually charge tens of thousands of dollars more than necessary and may or may not treat you well. Yes, we've heard of RAA. There is some good reading on RAA and other similar schools on the internet...see flightinfo.com

6) Plan to work as a flight instructor. Since you can relocate, you can find a job that has year-round, high-volume operations and you can really rack up the time quickly.

7) Get a private pilot license FIRST, before you quit your job. That way you will learn if you really enjoy flying that much, and you will get to know some CFI's and other folks in the industry and get a feel for things.

Last edited by rickair7777; 06-10-2006 at 10:55 AM.