Old 05-27-2008, 11:00 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

B727DRVR -

"The 70 hostages at Flight Options were not laid off, they were terminated: An important distinction in Civilian aviation and a potential "kiss-of-death" for your resume. "
After I read some of the other posts on here I realized that I was misreading a key element that you mention here: termination vice furloughed; and we haven't even touched on "laid-off" yet

"So here's my question, why would you or anyone want to go to a place that just laid off 70 fellow pilots (which they didn't... They terminated them!)? Obviously, they don't value their employees enough to furlough them and 70 pilots is over 12 percent of their pilot list, I believe.. I find it very improbable that 12 percent of the pilots are that bad with today's standards. How did they get through training, then, if they performed so poorly?

With the current management in place, Flight Options is not a place I would want to go. Now if they did "lay off" or terminate 70 pilots and TexasPilot still wanted to go there to take his/her chances, I don't think that would make him/her a scab since no picket line was involved.... I just think that it would be poor judgement to assume that he would fly, perform, or fare any better than the 70 fallen pilots before him. Going to a place that eats its own is questionable judgement at best. "

I completely agree with you on this point. I do think that it would show a lack of judgement to work for this company at the current time. The original intention of my post was to make sure that someone who went to work for a company that had laid-off pilots or been forced to furlough pilots in hard economic times were not labeled as scabs; or at least I could hope to understand the industry mind set if that were indeed the case.

You and SabreDriver make excellent, well thought out points in your posts and those of us who are still learning about this whole professional aviation career are thankful

USMCFLYR

"fantastic military pilot networking from Marine Corps aviation that you will never have to work at a company like I described to gain time or experience and go right to the company of your choice."
PS. OH....there is a Marine mafia out there waiting to get me my dream job?
Feel free to contact me at ANY time! I'm just starting to learn about this whole networking business. Sure wish I had kept better track of the guys who got out during my career!