View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 08:14 PM
keenster
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: FO forever
Default experience

Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
The rumor I heard was that 747-400 would be converted to cargo and replaced in passenger service with 777's. The point to point in Asia however may not be that huge. With the advent of the 787 coming on line there will be a lot more direct service to smaller cities in Asia bye passing hubs. Much like what happened in Europe and doomed Deltas point to point out of Frankfurt.
Slots in NRT are like gold. Just like slots in LGA or JFK Want to give some of them up? Have been flying the pacific for 20 years in and out of NRT. It is a hub just like ATL,DTW,MSP,SLC,etc. I see alot of 403 pass count on the acars that is full on the 400.

If your philosophy is correct all our hubs should go away. Lets be SWA. We could not have enough widebodies to fly to all the possible cities in Asia and also the current route structure would not support the traffic. Also, some markets will not support a widebody. That is why we have 757s flying markets out of NRT. We have FIFTH FREEDOM RIGHTS and only United has the same rights no other US carriers have this. We can pick up Japan originating passengers and take them anywhere in asia and return them to Japan. Delta, US AIr, Continental, American and the rest can't. Good for Delta that they are getting these Rights. Japan market is highly regulated and slots are few and far in between. So you are talking about a hub that has been in operation longer than some Existing Delta hubs. It sould be expanded not shrunk. I have heard alot about the growth over there on the DAL side.

good luck to us all !!!!!!!!!!!!

keenster