View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 08:58 AM
newKnow
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: 765-A

Originally Posted by tsquare View Post
What kind of pax counts do you have beyond Japan? Just curious. Can/do they support the 747? I know that what you talk of here is one of the big reasons that DAL wanted this merger. It gets us into places we would take years if EVER to acquire. So I have never minimalized the contribution that NWA brings to the party. I think most DAL guys (not speaking for them... but JMO) don't know much about Asia since we don't have a lot of presence there. Much like NWA guys don't know a lot about Europe other than AMS. I hear an interesting rumor that the combined company could fly those 5th freedom right cities with 767s or even 757 sized airplanes. I don't know... It's all conjecture anyway since I'm just a line dog.

Oh... and is NW 4 still the flight number from Manila? I flew back on ya'll from my time at Cubi point.
Out of Nagoya, Osaka, and Narita the 757 (180 seats) flies to:
1. Busan, S. Korea
2. Guam
3. Saipan
4. Guangzhou, China
5. Taipai, Taiwan (I think)

As I remember, the flights were always full.

Everywhere else the flights are 330's and bigger.

Wait. I forgot. The -400 goes down to Guam. I think the 330 also goes to Saipan. Basically, to the Japanese, Guam and Saipan are like Hawaii is to Americans. We have multiple flights down to those Islands FULL of Japan mainland passengers as well as those who connect through Japan from elsewhere (like S. Korea).

NWA and UAL have something in Japan that is hard to explain until you see it. They are like national airlines over there which the Japanese use heavily to go to places other than the United States. When you go over there and look at the ramp, you would swear you are in DTW or ORD.

New K Now