Thread: Mesa, and Farmington, NM

fosters , 06-11-2006 02:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off
fosters
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Nov 2005
Quote: Hi I'm going to MPD after I leave Army. I hear good and bad things about them, but I think MPD is a good choice. Can anyone give me some information about Farmington, NM. For example, good place to live, and do I need a car etc? Thanks
I instructed there for a year. It's an OK place to live - rent for me in a two bed/two bath townhouse w/ garage (approx 1400 sq. ft. living area exluding garage) was $700/month. Like I said - cheap. It was in a nice area of town too, and only 1.8 mile drive to work.

The entire city is about 45,000 people or so if I remember correctly. Plan on being there for about 16-18 months, that seems to be the average. I would get a car, or drive yours out there. You'll probably need it. It only snows 6"/yr and rains maybe 25 days out of the year, but like another poster said you'll want a car to drive to Albuquerque (3.5 hrs away) for the weekend, or even Durango (1 hr) to have some fun. Also, it can get pretty cold in the wintertime (especially at night) and pretty hot in the summertime (100F+).

The training is intense, however with you coming from the army you shouldn't have a problem. The ex-military people I flew with were excellent applicants and had no problems in training what so ever. Good luck! It's certainly a good opportunity provided you can get thru it. If you get on the schedule and can pound out the private ASAP and make it thru the first semester, you'll be OK.

If you can get some flight time prior to going there I would highly recommend it. Those that had some flight training, maybe up to solo, learned much faster.