Old 06-01-2008, 05:27 AM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

Chickenwolf,

Lori is correct in saying that you still exhibit customer service skills in your job- just through a different channel or outlet.

Speaking from a corporate point of view, as an interviewer, I wouldn't disregard a resume from a person that hasn't had passenger experience simply because they may not have "customer service skills". I know many airline folks (some with which I have flown) that don't even come close to knowing the meaning of the term, much less putting it into play. I've personally found that vetting candidates based on flight time/experience type is good for the interview, but when it comes down to it, nothing on paper can really detail customer service skills as well as a face to face interaction/interview.

If you are going to interview with any passenger operation, particularly corporate or fractional, take some time to think through some customer service situations and how you would react. While there isn't as much gouge out there about some of the companies that you might interview with, many customer service scenarios apply across the board. Here are a few examples- consider how you would handle each of these situations if you were the PIC (all of these have happened to me at some point or another):

- Passengers arrive earlier than scheduled without notifying you (before they drive up to the curb). As a result, the pre-ordered catering has not yet arrived and isn't scheduled to show up for another hour. What do you do?

- Your boss, the aircraft owner needs to get to NYC for a noon meeting with the CEO of a partner firm. Unfortunately the weather at your primary and secondary destionations (TEB and LGA) is low and there are lengthy delays. You don't think that you can get him to either airport in time to make the meeting. What do you do?

- After arriving at back at your home base (after an empty repo flight), you realize that your passengers left a briefcase and laptop in the rear baggage closet. What do you do?

- You are flying between two rural airports, one in Virginia and the other in Missouri. There is a very large line of weather that crosses Tennessee and Indiana, then extends into Canada. Although the weather at both airports is nice, there is a 4 hour ground delay program for your flight due to "enroute weather" in Indianapolis Center. What do you do/tell your passengers?

- A business trip has been scheduled for over a week. As the departure date nears, it is evident that winter weather is going to become an issue, especially since you are going to be operating into/out of mountainous terrain. Is there anything you can do/suggest to minimize the impact of approaching weather system?

- While flying enroute on a leg that is near the max endurance of the aircraft, you have your FO pull out the aircraft operating manual to check more accurate fuel burn numbers. After landing at your destination, your passengers comment that they are not comfortable flying back with your crew because you "had to read the manual". How do you handle the situation?

- NetJet's (I believe) used to ask a question in their interview that I found interesting, but also pertinent- "When does customer service go too far?" Consider that a bit.

I've found that the simplest way to approach CS is to remember the golden rule... Anytime that I am approached with a difficult situation, I consider- how would I want to be treated if I was on the other side of the scenario. Remember- in addition to ensuring safe operations that are compliant with the regs and SOP's, your job is to be a problem solver- both in the air and on the ground.

I've found that in many cases, the best thing you can do is come up with multiple alternative solutions (that are acceptable from an operations standpoint), and then ultimately let the passengers/boss decide.

Good luck!