Thread: Odd Jobs
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 01:29 PM
belliott
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Back in school.

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Everyone always wants to deal in absolutes. Why is that? I said that I'd be willing [to bet] that it would be the same way in the Caribbean - which was based on MY experiences. I wish I had encountered your good fortune back in the day when I was searching for those jobs.
How about we dare say that you had a different experience rather than say that I am incorrect? What if 9 out of 10 people in that same situation were to not find a job like you did? Then to be splitting hairs I would still be *incorrect* yet my belief (based on my experience) that you would have a better shot at finding that job would still be the safest bet.

USMCFLYR
Look, I am not trying to start a fight here. I am not one to deal in absolutes unless the conversation topic is vodka. In my opinion, after having lived in the caribbean, worked for a company in the caribbean, and interacted with pilots from many different companies in the caribbean, I would say that only a fool would travel to the caribbean to look for a job. It is pretty dang expensive to travel from island to island.... not to mention even the worst hotel is quite expensive compared to the american counterparts.
If you want to get a job in the caribbean you need to do your research online (suprisingly most of the companies in operation down there do have websites.... they are just a little difficult to find.), get in touch with those who have or still do work down there, and finally after contacting these companies I would then and only then recommend a trip down to see if you like the environment that you would be living in.
I apologize if I insulted you as that was not my intention.... I just hadn't had my coffee for the day.
Again, I highly discourage running around the caribbean islands looking for work. The islands can be as dangerous as LA or NYC to someone who doesn't know their way around. If you would like some info on jobs out there PM me.... I even know of the companies that aren't widely spoken of on these boards.