Thread: CL604 Pilot pay
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 10:27 AM
edznaz
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: G III

Originally Posted by pilotr View Post
I see that you were a USAir pilot who went to Corporate. I have returned to USAir from furlough and am not very impressed with the state of the US airline industry. I have recently been offered a position as a Global Express Captain and am seriously considering it.

As an USAir turned Global pilot what advice can you share. What surprised you about the corporate world. What do you think of the plane and of the training. Any advice?

Thanks!
Ok, not that guy, but I am in a similar situation. Straight corp is very different from Fracs. Fractionals have many "airline like" aspects, including skeds, vacations, and overall responsibilities. I work for a very small department, and its pretty much just me and my boss. We are on 24/7/365. Sure, they have a "plan" and almost always stick to it, but I am always on call. Flying is very interesting, and I really like the variety. Mostly dom stuff for us, but we just got back from Eastern Europe, which was very cool. There is lots of "other stuff" to do, and it all must be done exactly right. Folks get fired over stuff like having Pepsi instead of Coke. You will probably have some kind of cabin attendant, which will help relive you of some of this stuff, but it will still all be on your head. Did you check to make sure the FBO has hanger space? Is fuel cheaper across the field? Are you sure they have 24hr staffing? Ready to watch the ramp guys take 45min trying to squeeze your airplane into the hanger? These are the kind of issues you must track in a 91 op. I'd have a good long talk with some folks in the department and try to get a full picture of what your real "day to day" will be like. Probably better money and stability (whatever that is), just be sure you are prepared for the reality of the job.

Good luck

Z