Old 06-04-2008, 08:10 AM
hiflyer
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2007

Carl wrote:

I am increasingly of the belief that it is not the right move for both airlines. I've listened to Gary Kelly, Bob Crandall, Gordon Bethune and other airline analysts, and they all express their fear of spending 1 Billion dollars on combining two companies from the cash coffers that should probably be carefully guarded in this environment. It's a lot of money to spend on painting airplanes and moving headquarters' etc. Long term, it is probably a good thing. But you don't get to live in the long term if you die in the short term.

Some awfully smart people are saying they would not do it at this time, and I find myself agreeing with a lot of their logic.

Carl

"Combining the two is a "more civilized" approach than other options because there is "very little overlap" between routes and hubs, Bethune said. That would allow United and Delta to gain from expansion with less of an impact on their work forces, he said."

source:http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/11/...berg/bxair.php

Hey Carl, this was just a little over six months ago. Sounds a lot like the NWA/DAL deal. He sure is awfully smart!