Old 06-04-2008, 10:39 AM
detpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Trying not to crash

Excellent info, guys! Here are my responses, let me know what you think please. BTW, I'm just a CFI, I have no real experience dealing with these situations.

- Passengers arrive earlier than scheduled without notifying you (before they drive up to the curb). As a result, the pre-ordered catering has not yet arrived and isn't scheduled to show up for another hour. What do you do?
Let the passengers know that the Catering is on the way, and that it is scheduled to arrive based on the arranged meeting time. Don't harp on the fact that they are too early, but mention that things can operate more smoothly if they call ahead to let you (the pilot) know about their new show time. Offer to pick up some local food in the meantime if they want, while they wait.

- Your boss, the aircraft owner needs to get to NYC for a noon meeting with the CEO of a partner firm. Unfortunately the weather at your primary and secondary destionations (TEB and LGA) is low and there are lengthy delays. You don't think that you can get him to either airport in time to make the meeting. What do you do?
Tell him the situation and offer alternate destinations that have better weather. Arrange to have a car pick him up from this destination and get him to the meeting. Possibly depart earlier to allow more time for the longer drive.

- After arriving at back at your home base (after an empty repo flight), you realize that your passengers left a briefcase and laptop in the rear baggage closet. What do you do?
Call the passengers and ask them if they would like you to send the bags. If so, overnight them as soon as possible after landing.

- You are flying between two rural airports, one in Virginia and the other in Missouri. There is a very large line of weather that crosses Tennessee and Indiana, then extends into Canada. Although the weather at both airports is nice, there is a 4 hour ground delay program for your flight due to "enroute weather" in Indianapolis Center. What do you do/tell your passengers?
Tell your passengers what is going on, and advise them on alternate options. Consider a longer route that would bypass the weather and Indy center, but burn more fuel.

- A business trip has been scheduled for over a week. As the departure date nears, it is evident that winter weather is going to become an issue, especially since you are going to be operating into/out of mountainous terrain. Is there anything you can do/suggest to minimize the impact of approaching weather system?
Let your passengers know that the weather gets tricky in this particular area, and that if they are more flexible then they will have a better chance of getting in to the airport. Perhaps departing a day earlier or later than planned will provide better weather to get into the airport.

- While flying enroute on a leg that is near the max endurance of the aircraft, you have your FO pull out the aircraft operating manual to check more accurate fuel burn numbers. After landing at your destination, your passengers comment that they are not comfortable flying back with your crew because you "had to read the manual". How do you handle the situation?
Advise the passengers that it is standard procedure to check the book for specific numbers on certain flights, and that any other crew would do the same in this situation. Offer to arrange for ground transportation if they do not feel comfortable flying with you.

- NetJet's (I believe) used to ask a question in their interview that I found interesting, but also pertinent- "When does customer service go too far?" Consider that a bit.
Customer service goes to far when it is put ahead of safety.