Thread: Currency
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 12:54 PM
squawkoff

Lori,

I'm kind of in the same boat as far as currency/proficiency go. I just retired from the FAA as an ATC. Worked part time for a flight training co. here the DFW area and was a sim instructor on a corp. jet. Flew contract on corp. jets until the FAA found out I was enjoying myself and put a stop to it. I was an FE in the Air Force. I was told I could not cross train to be an FE because I was in an avionics field and didn't have the necessary background. Finally got a waiver and was the only honor graduate out of both schools. I own a Bonanza that I fly to stay current. However I'm running into a problem where it seems that I need a current flying job to get a flying job (catch 22) which is what I'm trying to get. I have over 2000TT and 1300ME, a FE certificate and a type rating. I just turned 50. I have only flown about 70 hours in the last year all in my Bonanza (I am IFR current). Companies seem interested at first then I get the letter that there are more qualified applicants (I'm assuming the 600hr kids, no offense, I was one once too.) I have a clean background both flying and criminally. I have an interview with a regional on the 10th and trying to decide if I should even waste my time going. I did get hired by a regional in the DFW area only to be told the next day that they had stopped hiring. Oh so close!!! Do you have any advice for me?????