View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 06:48 AM
Flare Armed
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: B767 First Officer

ACL,

As someone who was furloughed for a long time, I think you are panicking a bit. Just yesterday Bastian said they will trim a little more but do not expect to furlough anyone. If NWA makes big cuts now, it does not affect DAL pilots (yet). It will be a year+ before we have a joint contract and list and start bidding accordingly. And do I believe Bastian? Well, this management group has GENERALLY been pretty forthcoming and honest...so until they give me a serious reason to disregard them, I'll take what they say at face value. In a recent press release on our traffic numbers they say they expect a strong summer and should make our financial targets this year. We should break even or be slightly profitable.

UALs situation is scary but is not the same as ours...Tilton had no backup plan outside of merging. I have family at UAL and our two companies could not be more different after CH 11 emergence. We have been cutting domestic since 2005 and we are receiving airplanes this year and next that will offset the reductions/aircraft parking. I do not believe we will furlough. If oil goes north of $150 who knows, but right now I don't think there is any reason to be worried about it.

CALs scenario is a little worse than ours with losing 30ish net aircraft over the next year and a half. That is a long time to work out staffing scenarios...I would expect their furloughs to be MINIMAL if any at all.

AMRs situation is not the same as ours...they have a high cost structure vs. their revenue that has to be worked out.

The sky might be cracked, but its not falling. UAL is in very bad shape financially so they had to do something drastic. Will it work..who knows? For my friends and family there I sure hope so. Hopefully they'll get better management soon. Tilton needs to pack his parachute if you ask me.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Back to your regularly scheduled bickering...

And for what its worth, I think DAL had better give you guys Parity from DAY 1 also....any Joint Contract that "phases in" NWA pilots gets a NO vote from me. Think what you want of us "greedy" DAL pilots but I feel very strongly that'd be a non-starter from our end also.