Old 06-07-2008, 08:37 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Aviatormar View Post
Ok, so how does one go about getting into a program? Right now I"m 23 (24 in January), I fly for a regional and just finishing up my last few credits online to get my degree (dumb move, leaving college with 12 credits and 1 semester to go, to fly and have fun on the west coast, idiot idiot idiot!!!). Is there any hope for a reserve slot?
You're in a good place, you're still young enough but it can take 1-3 years to get a slot, so start now if you're going to (age limit varies between 28-30).

Air National Guard / Air Force Reserve are probably your best bets because you can select the unit (and thus the airplane you will fly). You will also keep your seniority at your airline (it will accrue as though you never left).

You have a LOT of reserach to do...officers of any sort need plenty of initiative, so the process is not "spoon-fed". Check out relevant threads on the military forum here, and look at baseops.net

First thing you want to do is get an idea if you meet the medical requirements.

Then start looking into units you would like to join. Guard units generally prefer local boys, so if you have a local unit start there. If you don't live near a suitable unit, you may actually want to "move" near one while applying...get a crashpad in that city where you can get mail. This way you can at least appear to be a local.

I did some research for a friend recently...due to demographics the C-130 squadrons at Cheyenne and Charlie West are usually the easiest to get into.