Old 06-07-2008, 12:57 PM
js081285
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
If you want to do it, don't let the GF hold you back unless she is the ONE...if so, marry her immediately. Let girlfriends influence your plans for the weekend, not your plans for life.

The USAF at least is making artificial jet fuel, so they won't be grounded if oil keeps going up.

Heavy guys fly almost as much as airline guys, depending on circumstances.

Fighter guys fly less, but it is mostly quality time, as opposed to AFCS in "newspaper mode". Majors recognize this and will readily 1000-1500 hour fighter guys.

Generally, a military officer will need to get promoted three times (to O-4/ major/lieutenant commander) in order to be allowed to stay in for 20 years to get the pension. The first two promotions are usually easy, but the O-4 promoton is more competetive. However it comes right about the time your training obligation expires (8-10 years), so it's a good time to leave if you want to, or don't get promoted.
Thanks for the advice. The gf is the one, Im just weighing the positives and negatives. I havent graduated yet so I'm not marrying her yet b/c I have been waiting on getting a job. Thats the big negative to me is the deployments, but I dont really know how they work in the af. As for the aircraft to fly, I would be just as happy flying heavies as opposed to fighters.