Old 06-08-2008, 05:50 AM
Lori Clark
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Aviation Consultant

Kicking around ways to answer customer service questions is always healthy. BUT...
Are you missing the reason they ask these questions?

Take a step back and look at the big picture here. Why in the world would an airline ask these questions? I mean, let's face it, the guys in the ivory tower don't really care how you interact with customers... or do they?

Before answering any hypothetical situation take in the whole picture, not just the "narrow" question. There is NO right or wrong answer. It's about YOU and how you resolve any given situation - knowing that customers (internal or external) are the bread-and-butter of the company.

Interviewers aren't looking for perfection, or even the right answer. They are looking for thinkers. People who have the customer's interests in mind and are willing to "think out of the box" to resolve a situation.
Sometimes there isn't a happy ending, but that's not the point.

So, if you're studying for an interview, by all means practice these types of questions for the experience of "thinking through it" but please, please, please don't memorize someone else's answer. They may be approaching the question incorrectly.

I hope this makes some sense - it's a little difficult to write than describe verbally.

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
FlyerJosh -

An excellent post and very informative. Thank you.

Using your experience, and some of the 'real world' situations you mention, would you possibly share some of your answers to the offered scenarios?

I've thought that the general answer of - try to find a way to say YES - while not sacrificing safety, rules, regs, SOPs, etc....... is an acceptable approach to most situations. Now the devil is still in the details and often the correct answer given (especially with regards to the weather/delay questions) will not always lead to an understanding/happy customer (just look at the general flying public's reaction to the same at the terminals), but then it is the company's responsibility to back your decision. If they are not willing to then you must decide if it is a company you still want to work for.

USMCFLYR