View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 07:10 AM
fosters
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by rubbersidedown
Hey Guys
I am a new member with a couple questions and looking for some advice. I know people get on here and do that all the time but I just want to make my first step in the right direction. I am a 1100TT, 200ME MEI who is 22 years of age and looking to go regional. I am a little new to the airline game and I feel a little bit like the new kid in school who cant find his classes. Their are quite a few regionals out there and I am wondering which one to go to and where to start. I like the way Pinnacle looks and have friends there and the CRJ is really appealing but I understand that it is PIC time that counts so I need to stick to something with a prop such as a B1900 or Dash 8? My main goal is to move up to a larger airline to where I could eventually retire from. I would like to go to the regional that will help me advance there the quickest, but yet still get treated right and be happy. I hear a lot of you guys on here talk bad about AE and rave others such as Horizon. What do you guys think of Island Air? Or any other ones? I have a friend who could walk in my resume with Commute Air but I would like to avoid Plattsburgh and Clevland if I could. I am living south GA and relocation is not going to be a problem although my wife really isnt a fan of the extreme cold but should might move to the far north for the right reason. There a lot of disgruntled pilots that are on here and dont have very many positive things to say, and thats not what I am looking for. Any realistic advice would be greatly appreciated.
I would not recommend CommutAir. I had a friend just leave there for ASA. They are downsizing, there have been rumors of cabin class a/c there for like the last 15 years, it ain't gonna happen. CommutAir, because it doesn't have a training contract, would be good if you had less time. Their upgrades are 3-4 years right now - in a 1900...

I would seriously look at Skywest and Chautauqa/Republic. Those are the ones that seem to be operated by people that know what they are doing. Although, that being said, picking a regional is a crap shot. You could go to someplace that has a current upgrade of 4 years but upgrade in 12 months if they expand rapidly.

So I agree with the above poster, try to get on at a company that has bases where you live, or are willing to move to. The problem with regionals is that their bases open and close ALL THE TIME. Look at AWAC, they went from all midwest flying to all east coast flying in <12 months. Some people have had 4 domicile changes in < 3 years!

Don't discount freight. You seem to almost have the 135 requirements. Airnet is a good company with about a 3 year upgrade to Lear CA. Ameriflight has Beech 99's, multi turbine PIC, with upgrades in 6 months if you are willing to move around out in the west coast. And their pay is a little bit better than a regional to start, although that's a wash at second year pay.

Flying for a regional isn't the "best life" one could imagine. In fact, even working for a "good" one, and living in base, it's still hard on first year pay. Second year pay is OK, if you are willing to work hard.