View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 08:27 AM
SeatMeat
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Doing what? Seriously, I have tried, but when it comes to my background two things happen. A- they think I'm crazy for wanting to leave the oh so glamorous pilot job, and/or B) the aviation degree just warrants blank stares. I then have to go into detail about what classes I took and explain what the program entailed. I'm realizing that I'll probably have to start at the bottom in pay and position, as if right out of school, if I make the jump. So far that's all that I've been offered. It's discouraging. I certainly don't want a paycut.
I'm in real estate sales and management.

Yeah, many people (but not all) put pilots on a pedistal. Many of my friends and clients think I'm nuts for not flying after spending five years of my life and 100k on education and flight training.

Depending on where you live, it shouldn't be too hard to come close to or match FO pay. If you do end up with a pay cut remember that it's only temporary- can't lose sight of the bigger picture. When I left aviation out of frustration in 2004 I found myself doing maintenance and unclogging toilets. That was very humbling. I knew that it had to be done to get to where I wanted to be. I'm not there yet, but I'm not unclogging toilets either. I still love aviation also, and almost went back several months ago. Glad I didn't now.

What field are you interested in and where did you graduate from? Who knows, maybe myself or someone else reading this knows someone who can hook you up. That's networking!!