View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 08:27 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default New Job

Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Doing what? Seriously, I have tried, but when it comes to my background two things happen. A- they think I'm crazy for wanting to leave the oh so glamorous pilot job, and/or B) the aviation degree just warrants blank stares. I then have to go into detail about what classes I took and explain what the program entailed. I'm realizing that I'll probably have to start at the bottom in pay and position, as if right out of school, if I make the jump. So far that's all that I've been offered. It's discouraging. I certainly don't want a paycut.
I have to agree. When I was laid off and would apply for non-aviation jobs employers would stare at me as if I had two heads. They would give me a screwy look and ask "why don't you just get another airline job"?

On the other hand it is difficult to leave any paycheck. If I hadn't been laid off I imagine that I would still be in aviation and miserable. It isn't easy. A good strategy is to start a side business or to get an online degree in something else. The price to pay when getting out seems to be that you will have to start over with the belief that in time the benefits will be substantial. You also should remind yourself that every day that you stay in the industry you are placing another nail into your coffin.

Les Abend wrote an article in Flying Magazine a few months back about pilots who had second jobs and side businesses. In time many left aviation because their part time job was doing so much better for them. It worked out for me. When I was laid off I was unemployable in other industries and was forced to invest myself 100% into my real estate business and it made all the difference.

What ever you do it is important to start right away. One day you might realize that you wasted your life because you didn't take that leap of faith.

Skyhigh