View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 07:46 PM
FliFast
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2006
Position: I was acquired, Not Hired

Originally Posted by SAABaroowski View Post
It would be a shame if they hang on, meanwhile guys who worked at a regional for however many years to make the move, now get furloughed............just seems BS to me if that were to happen..........

(not wishing anyone to get furloughed, but I am sure a 21yr old Riddle Grad can "bounce" back a bit more easily then a a guy who has a family etc ...........)

FLAME AWAY all you want but the way I see it, just doesn't seem right, I know seniority is seniority but how they got their number is "unorthodox" at best
Having been furloughed 4 times in my airline career, there are few things I can add from experience:

When an airline hands out furlough notices, they...

Don't care what school you attended..
Don't care how much total time you have
Don't care that your brother's uncle's neighbor's daughter's friend is the Chief Pilot
Don't care if you are the Ace of the Base or a crummy pilot.

The reality is...
You are without a paycheck and your bills don't stop.
The mouths at home to feed, still need feeding.
Your self-esteem is knocked back considerably.
Aviation jobs are usually scarce since most airlines furlough in concert because of cyclical, economic downturns.

Not all Riddle grads are 21 years old either. Some are older like me and have families. If your bone of contention is with ERAU or the "unorthodox" way they got their job, write to the HR/Flt Ops at Spirit. But leave the berating of recently furloughed pilots whether they be ERAU, UND, FIT, Purdue, OSU, Military, or Joe's FBO...leave the insults out. If you read my paragraph above you can see they have enough to deal with.

And yes, I am a double alum from that over-priced, flying school in Daytona.

Flifast

I used to jumpseat from DTW to TPA on Spirit and was always treated great. I hope your furloughes are rescinded or are very short in duration.