View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 05:37 AM
Piloto Noche
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by Fartknocker View Post
Here's an interesting bit to ponder.

I was hired at FedEx as a 727 FO. I do not have a flight engineer rating.

When I was hired, FedEx wanted a FEX written exam passed within the preceding 24 months. There is a waiver from the FAA that allows you to use the results past 24 months to take a practical test as long as you have been continuously employed by a 121 carrier. FedEx didn't want to use this waiver on new hires. I am not sure if they were unable or simply unwilling.

When I get excessed from 727 FO to 727 SO, will I be able to use my FEX written results from 2005?

As if a pay cut and training aren't enough, I would hate to take that FEX written again!!
I always thought the Purple Nuggets really scored a good deal when they got hired. Getting to go straight to the right seat of the -11 without having to take the requisite tour through the worst seat at the company was a definite bonus. As a new hire, I remember thinking to myself one night as I preflighted the jet for the forth time on my a.m. hub turn, "I wonder if I can get my old job back at that kennel scooping dog poop." I did that when I was twelve and I thought I would rather be doing that at the time.
But honestly, for any of us whining about whether we are going to have to commute or just move back to an F/O seat or whatever, I feel the pain for the guys that are going to have to go back to plumbing on the Boeing. Or even worse, having to re-start their careers as an engineer on that thing. I just hope the training program for the engineers has lightened up some.